Visual Basic Script Compatibility
WinWrap® Basic is an embedded macro language component available for .NET and COM 32 bit and 64 bit Windows applications. The WinWrap® Basic OCX Component is compatible with Visual Basic
The WinWrap® Basic Scripting Engine provides both end-users and developers with a complete
VB Script compatibility solution.
WinWrap® Basic WWB-COM Scripting Language VBScript Compatibility:
- Support for VB Script style scripts
- Fully compatible support for VBS legacy scripts
- Access to the ActiveX Host Application via COM
- Access to the .NET Host Application via COM interop
- 32 Bit and 64 Bit Windows native support
Provide Users with a Complete VB Script Scripting Development Environment
- Full WinWrap® Basic VBScript script editing
- Powerful auto completion capability for WWB
- Complete debugging capability for WWB
- Built-in Visual Basic Script scripting documentation
Applications including the WinWrap® Basic dll ship with a fully featured development environment including an editor and a debugger. The WinWrap® Basic software package is used in conjunction with Microsoft development tools including Visual Studio, Visual Studio.NET, Visual Studio Express, and the ActiveX scripting engines.
Basic has long been considered the best language for user scripting and user application extensions. Basic has a reputation as being the easiest language for non-developer users to understand and use.
Migrating to .NET
If you are considering transitioning your Windows host application to a .NET host application, the following code demonstrates how the legacy
Visual Basic Script code is fully supported in both hosts by the WinWrap® Scripting Language control. The host application creates the application object and then extends the WinWrap® Basic language using the
WinWrap® Basic script accessing a host application object
' modify .NET/COM host application object
AppObject.Value = "hi"
' value changed event for .NET/COM host application object
Public Sub AppObject_ValueChanged()
' display .NET/COM application object changed value
VB.NET code for .NET host
AppObject class module:
Public Class AppObject
Private value_ As String
Public Event ValueChanged()
Public Property Value() As String
Value = value_
Set(ByVal Value As String)
value_ = Value
.NET host application developers can utilize the .NET Host COM interop capability to provide complete compatibility for existing
Visual Basic Script legacy scripts. And, enjoy all the features of .NET in your Host Application.
The WinWrap® Basic Scripting Object provides both end-users and developers with a complete Visual Basic
Script application automation and customization solution.
Whether you are migrating to .NET or are continuing to use VB6, the WinWrap® Basic Scripting Engine Version 10 will provide
VBS script compatibility for your customers.
Visual Basic Script Compatibility Articles
- Visual Basic .NET (VB.NET) on Wikipedia, "Visual Basic .NET (VB.NET), formerly called Visual Basic (VB), is an object-oriented computer programming language that can be viewed as an evolution of Microsoft's Visual Basic (VB) implemented on the Microsoft .NET Framework." Wikipedia article.
- Lowering the barriers to programming: A taxonomy of programming environments and languages for novice programmers by Caitlin Kelleher and Randy Pausch, "Basic was designed to teach Dartmouth's non-science students about computing through programming. The Basic (Beginners All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code) language was designed to support a small set of instructions and remove unnecessary syntax." ACM Computing Surveys (CSUR), Volume 37, Issue 2 (June 2005), Pages: 83 - 137.
Copyright Polar Engineering, Inc.